VMTurbo for Cloud Service Providers
Differentiate Your Services Offering with VMTurbo
As a Cloud Service Provider, you are constantly looking at ways to differentiate your offering, and drive down your operational and capital costs. By incorporating VMTurbo in your cloud architecture you will significantly enhance and differentiate your offering to:
- Demonstrate your organization’s ability to manage SLAs and maximize virtualization and cloud ROI;
- Differentiate from competing offerings based on “VMware Management Stack” and traditional management paradigms; and
- Enable the use of alternative hypervisors.
Management Challenges for Cloud Service Providers
VMTurbo Operations Manager helps cloud providers resolve three central challenges:
- Maintaining the lowest possible infrastructure and labor cost to compete effectively with low-cost commodity offerings like Amazon EC2.
- Ensuring service levels and resource availability in a multi-tenant, shared environment.
- Providing differentiated services to existing and target customers for cloud, infrastructure and application management.
TCO advantages are highly dependent on optimizing the dynamic workload distribution across the server and storage infrastructure. If workloads are constrained to designated subsets of the servers, these subsets function as smaller clouds and lose the economies of scale advantages in reducing TCO. Therefore, a central challenge of cloud providers is how to distribute workloads across their entire clouds to optimize their TCO advantage.
This challenge of optimizing TCO is rendered particularly difficult by two factors:
- Clouds must manage high rate of workload change events (e.g., arrivals, termination). Workload and capacity management mechanisms must thus (a) be fully automated (vs. manual, as in private clouds); (b) handle cloud-wide allocation of capacity to workloads (vs. cluster-based allocation in private clouds); and (c) optimize the workload distribution to create TCO advantage.
- Clouds face more stringent constraints on workload processing (e.g., security and privacy), due to more complex service requirements and multi-tenancy operations.
VMTurbo offers cloud service providers a unique solution to resolve these TCO optimization challenges. Our technology assures that TCO is best minimized, by automating workload distribution to optimize cloud-wide capacity utilization and to reflect constraints. VMTurbo empowers cloud providers to systemically evaluate and plan for growth and changes of cloud infrastructures. And our tools enable cloud providers to provide their users with detailed reports to track analyze and trend resource usage by their applications.
With VMTurbo, a Cloud Service Provider can…
1. CREATE ECONOMIES OF SCALE IN MANAGING CLOUDS
VMTurbo enables CSPs to consolidate the monitoring of all managed clouds from a single console, creating significant economies of scale and TCO efficiencies. VMTurbo Operations Manager is able to integrate and manage vSphere, vCloud Director, XenServer, Hyper-V, and CloudStack implementations through a single appliance and pane of glass for the IT Operations team.
2. ELIMINATE PROBLEMS PROACTIVELY
VMTurbo Operations Manager automatically detects and remediates building contention issues as soon as they emerge, avoiding costly problems and the time spent to triage and troubleshoot them. VMTurbo helps service providers can eliminate the problems proactively, before they escalate to impair applications. This enables providers to assure end users that their clouds are healthy and their applications are highly available.
3. HELP USERS PLAN CLOUD GROWTH & CHANGES, OPTIMIZING THEIR ROI
VMTurbo empowers service providers to help its end users with systemic capacity planning of their IT growth and changes. For example, the provider can help its end users consider a broad range of “what if” scenarios and compute the best use of resources and distribution of workloads to address these scenarios. VMTurbo provides invaluable help to users in evaluating the ROI of contemplated changes. Once users are satisfied that their goals and constraints are satisfied, and their ROI is optimized, the Planner produces a list of actions to implement the plan.
4. OPTIMIZE USE OF CLOUD RESOURCES TO DELIVER SLA & MINIMIZE TCO
VMTurbo empowers the provider to optimize the use of cloud resources to handle applications workloads and assure their performance. The statistics of applications workloads can vary significantly between different applications and different times. The Optimizer manages the distribution of workloads to best optimize applications performance. For example, it assures that two applications experiencing concurrent traffic peaks are allocated to different hosts to avoid congestion. Similarly, if a host is significantly underutilized, it will shift its workloads away and turn it into standby mode to reduce energy consumption. With energy costs representing an estimated 20% of cloud OPEX, this can translate to significant TCO savings.
5. TRACK, ANALYZE AND TREND CLOUD PERFORMANCE
VMTurbo permits the service provider to enable its users track, analyze and trend their cloud performance. Reports can be flexibly customized to meet specific needs and concerns of each user and help their decisions best.
THE BOTTOM LINE
VMTurbo helps service providers develop sustainable edge in growing their cloud services. This unique edge is driven by several factors:
- Supporting integrated management services beyond the scope available to end users through the hypervisor vendors’ tools;
- Exploiting the economies of scale, beyond those available to end-users, created through consolidation of cloud management functions;
- Exploiting the automation provided by VMTurbo tools to reduce labor costs and increase the availability and efficiency of clouds, while optimizing applications performance;
- Integration of private and public cloud services through jointly developed extensions of VMTurbo